If you can rearrange the head(er), u do have one urself... and thats all the gear u need to understand the blog... Welcome to Dc world

May 14, 2007

Art of attacking the Gods

Well, I am pretty sure most of the readers are aware of the "Art Attack" episodes on news telivision universe. The news channels have laboriously created a universe for themselves, and funnily, its drifting further and further from that of the astronomer's. And the use of such terms as "Art Attack" (by the way, thats a really good show on Disney) are quite a poor effort on the part of the researcher/reporter in highlighting the story.

Cutting to the chase, I don't think all of the "vandalism" by the VHP activists should be viewed in the photographer's room. I don't believe that all "expressions" should be left uncensored. I don't think it is right to propagate the view that "The artist should be allowed to open his mind and heart whenever he has a brush/pen in his hand". After all, would we like a person on the street opening his filthy mouth when it comes to addressing us or our family members. I am not going into the Constitution here for two reasons. I don't have such a deep insight into the laws in that large fat book. And second, I believe that the Constitution is deeply flawed if it allows for such "expressions".

Over the past year, it has been made quite clear through various incidents that everthing from a cartoon strip to a movie to a painting can be categorized as offensive. In the countless discussions that have gone on, one thing has emerged. The religious leaders are very liberal when it comes to "offensive" material with respect to another religion, but very strict when it comes to their own. So, basically, the discussion is stuck in a muck, with no outcome whatsoever. I have a very simple solution to these mess. A common sensical one.

Why can't there be a law which states that a finite number of sacred symbols cannot be used in "artistic expressions"? I am sure the artists can work with such a "restriction". I am critical of the artists because it is becoming more and more obvious that their effort is more to create a media hype, and fetch a higher price for their work. I cannot think of any other reason why the artist in Vadodara would paint such a painting knowing fully well that it was refering to the sacred space of a religion. I only wish he wouldn't have got himself into jail by painting his explosive and deragatory expressions. I wish he would be as relaxed as I am while I am writing this blog. :)

If only the artists would go about their business the way the rest of India does, I would have had a better discussion than "Art Attack" to watch while I had my dinner. :)

No comments:

My earlier blogs

Cricket fever

After reading the blog, what would you like to do?

CNN.com

Wired Top Stories

Yahoo! News: Technology News

CNET News.com

Footfalls